This Cheesy Potato Bacon Soup recipe is rich, creamy, and delicious. This hearty, comforting, and satisfying savory soup is one you can have on chilly days. It is so easy to make at home with minimal ingredients.
This cheesy potato bacon soup recipe is filling and warming soup you can always make during weekends and have them for the rest of the week. You can make a whole big batch of this creamy soup with just few ingredients that you usually have at home already.
INGREDIENTS AND SUBSTITUTIONS NOTE
- Potatoes – I’m using russet potato as a preference but you can use yukon gold potato too.
- Bacon – Great for protein and fat. This makes our soup very delicious and tasty. You can use ground beef, pork sausage or pepperoni.
- Garlic and onion – I love to sauté this cheese potato bacon soup with garlic and onion for aromatics and flavors.
- broth or water – I am using homemade beef bone broth but store broth or filtered water works.
- heavy whipping cream and sour cream – These creams give rich and creaminess to the soup. You can also substitute with evaporated milk or half and half. If you are vegan you can use nut mil or my favorite coconut milk.
- salt and pepper– Season accordingly.
- cheddar cheese – You can use many different types of cheese. I prefer sharp cheddar which adds intense flavor.
- green onions – for garnish (optional)
- potato chips (optional)
HOW TO MAKE CHEESY POTATO BACON SOUP
- Cook the bacon in a dutch oven over medium heat until they turned golden brown and your desired crispiness.
- Take it out and set aside.
- Sauté onion and garlic with remaining oil and 2 tablespoon melted butter.
- Add broth and potatoes into dutch oven. Cook at medium heat, then simmer until potatoes soften.
- Purée 3 cups of the potatoes from the dutch oven to thicken the soup using a blender, food processor or immersion hand blender.
- Transfer it back in the dutch oven. Pour heavy whipping cream, sour cream, and half of the shredded cheese. Season with salt, and pepper. Stir until cheese is melted.
I love this cheesy potato bacon soup because there is no right or wrong variation to make it. It is very forgiving and easy to make at home.
- Any leftover mashed potatoes, you can add to thicken your cheesy potato bacon soup.
- For dairy-free and vegan, nut milks are great substitute for creams and skip the butter and bacon. You can simple use avocado oil or olive oil.
- You can add in vegetables for additional fiber. I tend to add broccoli, celery, and carrots if I have them.
- Add a sprinkle of chips or bread to the top for extra crispiness and/or texture.
MAKE-AHEAD, STORAGE AND REHEATING
Make-Ahead: The Cheesy potato bacon soup can be cook in advance in big batches for easy meal prep for the busy week ahead.
Storage: In the refrigerator, store leftovers in an air-tight container or wide-mouth mason jar for up to a week. Freeze up to 3 months and thaw in the refrigerator overnight or until it reaches room temperature.
Reheating: To reheat our soup, add it in a saucepan and cook over medium heat. Stir frequently until warmed through. Enjoy!
MORE RECIPES YOU MIGHT LIKE
Cheesy Potato Bacon Soup
- 1 Dutch oven or heavy pot
- 2 pounds russet potato chopped dice
- 6 strips bacon thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoon butter
- 4 cloves minced garlic
- 1 medium diced onion
- 6 cups broth or water
- 1 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 cups shredded cheese
- 1/2 cup chopped green onion (optional)
- 1 cup potato chips (optional)
- Sauté onion and garlic with remaining oil with 2 tablespoon melted butter. Pour in broth and potatoes. Cook in medium heat and simmer until potato has soften.
- Purée some potatoes to thicken the soup using a blender, food processor or hand mixer. Transfer it back in the dutch oven. Pour heavy whipping cream, sour cream, half of the bacon, and half from the shredded cheese. Season with salt, and pepper. Stir until cheese is melted. Serve and garnish with more cheese, bacon, potato chips, and green onions. Enjoy while it is hot.
AS AN AMAZON ASSOCIATE, I EARN FROM QUALIFYING PURCHASES.