The BEST Crab Rangoon is made of crab meat, cream cheese, and other flavorings with wonton wrappers. It is fried to perfection and makes it super crispy, crunchy, and flavorful in every bite. They are so easy to prepare, fail-proof, and budget-friendly.
Crab Rangoon is one of the most popular Chinese food appetizers on the menu in many Chinese Food restaurants, second perhaps to egg rolls.
History of Crab Rangoon
Many people wonder if Crab Rangoon is authentic and the answer is no. It is a classic American creation even though they are mostly served in Chinese restaurants. It was invented and on the menu of the Polynesian-style restaurant named Trader Vic’s in San Francisco since at least 1956. It was invented by Joe Young who is working under Victor Bergeron, founder of Trader Vic’s Restaurant.
- Crab Meat – Imitation crab meat is what I use in this recipe. You can use crab meat in cans or fresh if you wanted to. Make sure to drain all the liquid from the can. I personally prefer imitation crab because of the texture and this is budget-friendly for me and my family. Plus I can’t tell much of the difference.
- Cream Cheese – Any brand of cream cheese from the grocery store is delicious and perfect.
- Green Onions – Add a subtle onion-y flavor without overpowering your dish the way bulb onions could.
- Garlic Powder – I love garlic powder because it has more intense garlic flavor than the minced garlic. You can use fresh or powder garlic though. You can skip it you are not a fan.
- Ginger – It adds flavor to the filling. I use fresh but you can use powder as well.
- Worcester Sauce – This sauce has powerful umami flavor, which comes from the anchovies or soy sauce.
- Toasted Sesame Oil – This flavor is deep, rich and nutty which I love in most of my Asian recipes.
- Wonton Wrappers – You can easily find this at the Asian stores or any supermarket.
- Cooking Oil – We need to fry our Crab Rangoon using any neutral cooking oil.
How to make Crab Rangoon?
Let’s make this easy recipe by combining all the ingredients in a large bowl. Then grab a wood spatula to tear the crab meat into small pieces. Mix everything until well combined.
Layout a wonton wrapper and scoop about 2 teaspoons of the filling and place it into the center of the wrapper. Dab the edges with water using the tip of your finger.
Step by step Procedure to Fold Crab Rangoon
Fold the two opposite corners together to form a triangle. Then fold the other two ends. Pinch to seal tight and make sure there is no hole for leakage.
Heat a pot over medium heat. Use enough oil and deep-fry them in batches until nice and golden brown. Lay a paper towel on a plate and transfer them. This will help to absorb the excess oil.
Why We Love Crab Rangoon?
- It is crispy, crunchy and full of flavor in every bite.
- Very easy to make and you can make it ahead of time.
- It is cost-effective and wont ruin your budget. To make your mixture filling strech, you can add 6 to 8 ounces more of cream cheese.
- It is one of my favorite snack, appetizer and side dish. And if I am in the mood I love making my 5-ingredient sweet and sour as a dipping sauce.
- I make this in large batches and I have a whole section in the freezer didicated to crab rangoons. I could easily grab a few and fry them any time.
- One of the best finger snack for parties.
- You can make a large batch of this ahead and freeze them. This will ensure the nice texture and shape when you fry them. That way, you can easily grab some when in hurry. You do not need to thaw them.
- Make sure the wonton wrappers are sealed tightly to avoid leaking. To avoid exploding the wrapper and filling, make sure to pressed them completely.
- The oil should be hot enough about 325°F to 350°F but not too hot. It will only take 2-3 minutes. Check for a golden brown and crispy texture.
Refrigerator – You can make this in advance and store it in an air-tight container in the fridge for 3 days.
Freezer – Lay them in a baking pan and freeze until firm enough. Transfer them in a freezer-friendly container and store them in the freezer for up to 3-4 months. You don’t need to thaw them before cooking.
Some Recipes You Might Like
The BEST Crab Rangoon
- 1 Frying Pan
- 1 Mixing bowl
- 8 ounces imitation crab
- 8 ounces cream cheese
- 1/2 cup green onion
- 1 teaspoon worchester sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3/4 teaspoon grated ginger
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- 20 wrappers wonton
- 1 cup frying oil
- In a large bowl, combine all the ingredients except wonton wrapper. Mix everything until well combined.
- Layout a wonton wrapper and scoop about 2 teaspoons of the filling and place it into the center of the wrapper. Dab the edges with water.
- Fold the two opposite corners together to form a triangle. Then fold the other two ends. Pinch to seal tight and make sure there is no hole for leakage.
- Heat cooking oil in a frying pan over medium heat. Deep-fry rab rangoon in batches until golden brown and crispy. for about 2-3 minutes. Lay a paper towel on a plate and transfer them to help absorb the excess oil. Serve and enjoy
- Ketchup or Sweet and Sour Sauce (check above recipe)