Turon is a banana spring roll that is popular as a street food dessert in the Philippines. You are going to love this as a sweet snack or dessert because it is crunchy, perfectly sweet, and comes together in less than 30 minutes with minimal and affordable ingredients.
Banana Turon or also known as banana spring roll because it uses the same wrapper and is folded as crispy pork lumpia and beef lumpia. This plantain egg roll is fast and easy to fry. It is freezer friendly and can be frozen to keep it longer.
- Refrigerator – Transfer the leftover lumpia into a container with a lid and store in the refrigerator for up to a week.
- Freezer – Transfer uncook turon in a freezer-friendly container. It will stay good and last for up to 5 months in the freezer if stored properly.
More Recipes You Might Like
Banana Spring Roll (Turon) Recipe
- 1 large skillet or frying pan
- 6 large ripe plaintain or ripe saba
- 24 pieces lumpia wrapper
- 1/2 cup granulater sugar
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup cooking oil
- Slice plaintain into four pieces. Dip the sliced plaintain into the granulated sugar.
- Set a wrapper in a diamond shape and put a sliced of plaintain to the lower end of the wrapper. Fold the left and right sides towards the middle and keep rolling up. Wet the top edge of the wrapper with a dab of water to seal completely. Repeat these process until everything is finish.
- Heat about 1-2 inches of cooking oil in a frying pan over medium heat. Fry turon in batches until crisp and golden brown. Make sure to flip each side of the turon to cook evenly.
- Caramelize the sugar over medium heat with four tablespoon of cooking oil, swirling the pan occasionally. Remove from the heat when it reaches a deep amber color.
- Coat the turon with the caramelized sugar. Alternatively, you can drizzle the hot caramel over them. Enjoy!