Make your own pool-proof, no canning needed and simple blueberry jam with just 3 ingredients and you will achieve the best homemade jam. It takes 20 minutes to make and it is delicious to use as a spread on toast, crackers, pancakes, and filling for pies and desserts.
Early Summer to the beginning of Fall is when the blueberries are plenty and abundant. We go to a blueberry farm nearby and pick blueberries for free! I also have 7 blueberry trees in our backyard.
If you’ve never made jam before, it was never late to learn. I just started last year to preserve all the produce to last me all year. I can’t tell you how impressive and amazing to make your own jam.
Why you will love this recipe
- First, it is so much better than store brought blueberry jam. After I start making my own homemade jam, I can’t go back to the store-bought product since I can tell the huge difference in taste.
- You can control how the ingredients. I love sweets but I don’t want my jam to be too sweet compared to store-bought or other recipes out there.
- It only requires 3 ingredients for this tasty and yummy blueberry jam.
- This jam is easy to prepare and make and NO canning method is required. Do you have 20 minutes? Let’s make blueberry jam!
- Versatile! You can add this blueberry jam to almost everything. You can also check my ube jam recipe here.
This is the best blueberry jam recipe because you only need 3 ingredients. You will get an intense flavor with this recipe. This simple recipe doesn’t have any pectin.
- Fresh blueberries – Fresh organic blueberries are the best. You can use frozen blueberries too.
- Sugar – Granulated sugar is what we are going to use to sweeten our blueberry jam.
- Lemon juice – The lemon juice lowers the pH of the jam, which neutralizes negative charges on the strands of pectin and helps your jam set and thicken after it cools down.
How to make blueberry Jam
Making your own blueberry jam is so simple. It is hard to follow complicated recipes when we can make a shortcut with the best result. I can’t wait to share with you a fool-proof and no canning-needed method.
- Combine blueberries, sugar, and lemon juice in a medium pot. Mix everything well to combine and cook in medium heat. Slowly, the sugar will melt while the fruit is heating up. Once all the sugar dissolves, bring the mixture to a full rolling boil for about 15-20 minutes, stirring constantly. Turn off the heat and let it cool down. Leave it at room temperature to cool down and let it set for a few hours.
- Sterilized glass jar. To sterilize empty jars, put them right side up on the rack in a boiling-water. Fill the canner and jars with hot (not boiling) water to 1 inch above the tops of the jars. Boil for 10 minutes at altitudes of less than 1,000 ft. At higher elevations, boil 1 additional minute for each additional 1,000 ft elevation. Remove and drain hot sterilized jars one at a time. You can use an old jar or mason jar.
- Transfer the blueberry jam into a sterilized glass jar and tighten the lid. Serve and enjoy!
Blueberry Health Benefits
If you ask me, blueberry is the healthiest food on the planet. Here are just some of its health benefits.
- Blueberries are the king of anti-oxidant. It has the highest antioxidant among all fruits and vegetables. Antioxidants protect your body from free radicals, which can damage your cells and contribute to aging and diseases, such as cancer and inflammatory diseases.
- It may lower blood pressure which is a major factor for heart disease.
- It is brain food. Blueberries can improve brain function and memory and delay mental decline.
- Anthocyanins may improve insulin sensitivity. If you improved insulin sensitivity, it should also lower the risk of metabolic syndrome, and type 2 diabetes which are currently two of the world’s biggest health problems.
Questions and Answer
Mold growth can be minimized by using sterilized jars. If the jars aren’t sterilized properly, your jam will attract mold and won’t keep for a long period of time
Pectin is an ingredient to make a jam set. However, it is not necessary to use this. This jam recipe has sugar and lemon which helps the jam to set and get a jelly texture.
The lemon juice lowers the pH of the jam, which neutralizes negative charges on the strands of pectin and helps your jam set and thicken after it cools down for a few hours.
Frozen blueberries are great. It will thaw easily while cooking and requires a longer period to cook since it is watery than fresh blueberries.
Refrigerator – Place your blueberry jam in the back of the refrigerator to store. It will last up to a month in the refrigerator with a lid. If you use the canning method, it could last up to 2 years in a cool, dry, and dark place such as a pantry.
More recipes you may like
3-ingredient Blueberry Jam Recipe
- 700 grams blueberries
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons lemon juice
- Combine blueberries, sugar and lemon juice in a saucepan. Turn the heat on medium and stir well to combine.
- Let the sugar dissolve by stirring constantly and bring the mixture into a rolling boil for about 20 minutes. Turn off the heat. It will set for few a hours at room temperature after it cool down.
- Sterilized the jar by submerging it into a boiling water. Check the tips above.
- Transfer the jam into the sterilized jar and close the lid. Serve and enjoy!
- Sterilize your glass jar to keep mold away from growing to your blueberry jam.
- The jam will thicken after a few hours. Let it set in room temperature for a few hours before you transfer it into the sterilized glass jar.
- This jam recipe requires refrigeration since we didn’t use a canning method. See the note above.