Air Fryer Chicken Meatballs are a delicious and healthier alternative to traditional deep-fried meatballs. Made with ground chicken that has been seasoned with herbs and spices, these meatballs are formed into bite-sized balls and then cooked in an air-fryer until they are golden brown and crispy on the outside and tender and juicy on the inside.
- Ground chicken - Use a lean ground protein as much as possible. I am using 95/5.
- Parmesan cheese - It adds a cheesy flavor to the meat.
- Vegetables - I use carrots to add some sweetness and color. You can add any other vegetables such as zucchini, cauliflower, and broccoli. Use a food processor or blender to finely chop them.
- Herbs - I can't get enough chopped green onions. You can opt for your favorite herbs such as cilantro, parsley, basil, oregano, and more for this meatball recipe.
- Spices - I'm using garlic, powder, salt, and pepper to enhance the flavor. You can also use paprika, chili powder, or red pepper flakes for some heat, and more.
Step 1: Preheat the air fryer to 400°F/205°C for a few minutes.
Step 2: In a mixing bowl, combine ground chicken, parmesan cheese, carrots, chopped green onions or any herbs of your choice, garlic powder, salt, and pepper. Mix until everything is well blended.
Step 3: Form the mixture into a 1-inch ball and place it into an air fryer basket. Leave some space between meatballs.
Step 4: Cook the meatballs for 10-12 minutes, or until cooked through. To check for doneness, it should reached 165°F/(74°C) using a meat thermometer
- Serve and enjoy with sweet and sour sauce or marinara sauce.
- Use lean ground chicken: For the best result, use lean ground meat when making meatballs to ensure that they will cook evenly and not too greasy.
- Don't overmix the meat: Overmixing can cause the meatballs to become tough and dry. Just mix everything until all the ingredients are well blended.
- Use a cookie scoop or tablespoon to form a ball: Using a cookie scoop can help you form your meatballs into evenly sized portions, which will ensure that they cook evenly in the air fryer.
- Preheat the air fryer: This will ensure that the air fryer is hot enough can help them get crispy and golden brown on the outside.
- Cook in batches: Cook them in two or more batches and leave some space between them. This will ensure that they cook evenly and get crispy on all sides.
- Check for doneness: Use a meat thermometer to check that the internal temperature of the chicken meatballs has reached 165°F/(74°C) before serving. Be sure that they are fully cooked and safe to eat.
- Do not overcook: Check when they look golden brown using a meat thermometer. It is tough and dry when you cook them for too long.
- To make this a keto meatball, skip the carrots and do not add breadcrumbs because they are high in carbohydrates. This is also a gluten-free chicken meatball which is perfect for people who are sensitive to gluten.
- If you love more meatball recipes, please check out my Asian sweet and Sour Meatballs.
Allow the leftover air-fried meatballs to cool completely and transfer them into a glass container. You can store them in the refrigerator for up to a week, making them perfect for meal prepping. Or freeze them for up to 3 months in the freezer.
To reheat in the air fryer, preheat your air fryer to 400°F/205°C and reheat for 5-8 minutes or until it is heated through. You can also use the microwave to reheat cooked meatballs. Reheat for 30 seconds intervals until warm through.
Why you will love this recipe
- Healthier option: Air-fried meatballs are cooked using hot air circulation technology, which requires little to no oil. This makes them a healthier option for those who are looking to cut back on their fat and calorie intake without sacrificing flavor and texture.
- Kid-friendly: Kids tend to love meatballs, and air fryer chicken meatballs are no exception. They are a great way to include chopped vegetables into their food without them noticing the texture. You can also make fun shapes and sizes to make mealtime more exciting.
- Gluten-free and keto-friendly: Skip the carrots and just substitute them with other low-carb veggies instead. This healthy meatball is perfect for most health-conscious or are trying for a low-inflammatory diet.
- Freezer-friendly: Make a huge batch and freeze them for later. Frozen meatballs are great as quick and easy food that you can freeze for a few months whether it is raw or cooked.
- Easy to make: Air-fryer meatballs are quick and easy to make. Just mix all the ingredients in a large mixing bowl and form into balls, and cook them in an air fryer.
- Versatile: This can be served as an appetizer, side dish, snack, or even a main dish, and can be served with a variety of dipping sauces and sides. You can also add this to your Jollibee Spaghetti.
- Crowd-pleaser: This is simple to make in large batches and can be customized to suit a variety of tastes and preferences. Whether you're hosting a party or just looking for a tasty meal to serve with your loved ones, meatballs are so convenient.
Frequently Asked Questions
Preheat the air fryer to 400°F/205°C for a few minutes. Cook the chicken meatballs for 10-12 minutes or until they are golden brown and crispy.
No, you do not need any oil to cook meatballs when using an air fryer. The hot air circulation technology in the air fryer will cook them easily without the need for added oil.
Yes, you can! Allow them to cool completely and place them in a freezer-friendly bag or container for up to 3 months. To reheat, simply place them in the air-fryer for 5-7 minutes at 400F (205C) or until heated thoroughly.
Of course, you can use ground turkey or any other type of ground meat to make this recipe. Just make sure to adjust the cooking time to ensure that the meatballs are cooked fully.
If you love this recipe, please leave me a 5-star review below!
Do you have any questions, recommendations, or tips? I would love to hear them all!
Just wanna say hi? Please leave me a comment and follow me on Instagram @curiousflavors. I would love to connect with you.
Air Fryer Chicken Meatballs
- 1 pound ground chicken
- ¼ cup parmesan cheese
- ½ cup carrots finely chopped
- ¼ cup green onions/scallions finely chopped
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon black pepper
- Preheat the air fryer to 400°F/205°C for 2 minutes.
- In a mixing bowl, combine ground chicken, parmesan cheese, chopped carrots, chopped green onions or any herbs of your choice, garlic powder, salt, and pepper. Mix until combined.
- Form the mixture into a 1-inch ball and place it into an air fryer basket. Leave some space between meatballs.
- Cook the meatballs for 10-12 minutes, or until cooked through. To check for doneness, it should reached 165°F/(74°C) using a meat thermometer
- Serve and enjoy.
- For a crispier meatball, brush the meatballs with olive oil before cooking.
- You can also add other ingredients to the meatballs such as chopped vegetables and other herbs and spices.
- Serve your meatballs with your favorite dipping sauce, such as sweet and sour sauce, marinara sauce, barbecue sauce, or ranch.