How to cook white rice? Super easy and simple! Using this perfect fool-proof method, your rice will be fluffy and tender, follow the instructions below.
As a person who eats rice for, breakfast, lunch, and dinner most days, I can show you how we cook rice in my family. Although you can also use fancy equipment, the stovetop is what we use in my home to cook soft and fluffy rice without fail.
How to cook rice on stovetop
The most popular way to cook rice is cooking on the stovetop using a pot. Everybody in my family starts out learning how to cook rice perfectly on the stovetop. This is how it is done in the Philippines and Asian Countries if we do not own a rice cooker or microwave.
Using water from the sink tap rinse the rice with running water a few times. Add enough water to cover the rice, then pour out the water leaving the rice still in the pot.
After rinsing the rice a few times, pour in your cooking water. It is a 2:1 ratio. If you use 1 cup of rice, you need to use 2 cups of water to cook. cook with medium heat and let it slowly boil. Once it is boiling, turn it down to simmer. Crack the lid a little bit for steam to escape from the pot if needed, and let it cook until all the liquid evaporates. Cover completely and turn it off. Let it rest for 5-10 minutes.
When you are in a rush, this method is for you.
First, rinse your rice a few times until most of the starch is gone.
Then boil the water and pour it into the microwave-safe container. Microwave uncovered for 12 minutes on high. Take it out from the microwave and let it rest with a cover for 10 minutes. Enjoy!
Preheat your oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit. Boil water with the 2:1 ratio. Rinse your rice a few times. Place rice and boiling water in an oven-safe casserole with a lid and cover. Bake for 35 minutes. Turn off the oven and let it rest inside the oven for 10 minutes. Remember that the rice is still cooking in the heat while resting. Serve and enjoy!
Yes! I do this all the time and it saves time and energy. Store in an air-tight container for up to 4 months.
1 cup of cooked white rice has 208 calories.
Rice is filling and satisfying. It is rich in carbohydrates which is a good source of energy. I recommend moderation in everything we eat including rice and always combine it with protein and fiber to balance the starch.
Absolutely. It is safe to eat it cold or warm. It all depends on your preference.
- Rinsing your rice with water a few times can get rid of the most starch from your rice. People demonized white rice because it is high in starch and can lead to weight gain but if you rinse your rice until the water is almost clear, you will get rid of the extra starch. Don’t skip this method.
- Soaking your rice in water a few hours to overnight will also significantly reduce the starch from the rice! I recommend soaking it if you plan to cook your rice when you have the time. It will also reduce the cooking time by few minutes because the rice are already soften through soaking. This is the most important tips if you will take one tip from me today!
- You do not need to rely on measuring cups to measure the ratio. My grandparents use their fingers as a measurement, just remember the 2:1 ratio when using stovetop to cook the rice.
- If your rice is runny and mushy after cooking, scoop some of the liquid and get rid of it. You can also crack the lid to let some of the excess water to evaporate.
- Never cook rice in high heat because it will bring to a rapid boil and will trap in so much heat it will probably boil over.
- You will know when the rice is cook properly when it is soft and all the water evaporated.
Make-Ahead, storing, reheating tips
- Make-Ahead – Cooking in batches for your meal prep of the week is a great way to save time and energy. I recommend soaking it overnight to reduce cooking time.
- Storage Tips
- Refrigerator – If you have leftover rice, allow it to cool completely and transfer in an air-tight container. Store in the fridge for up to 5 days.
- Freezer – Cooked rice is freezer friendly. Allow to cool completely and transfer in a freezer friendly container. Keep it in the freezer for up to 4 months.
- Reheat – You can reheat rice in stovetop, microwave or oven. If its frozen, thaw for 30 minutes or until it reaches room temperature on the countertop or overnight in the fridge. Reheat until warm throughly.
what to serve with rice?
Rice is so versatile that you can serve it with almost everything.
- Sweet and Sour Meatballs
- Creamy Chicken Marsala
- 15-Minute Baked Lemon-Herb Salmon
- Chicken Adobo
- Beef Caldereta
How to Cook Rice
- Medium pot
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup white rice
- Rinse the rice through running water for a few times until most of the starches are gone.
- Using a pot, place the rice with clean water and cook over medium heat and let it boil. Reduce to low heat and simmer for 10 minutes or until all the water is fully absorbed but rice is still moist and tender.
- Turn off heat and let it rest with the cover on for another 10 minutes. Serve and enjoy!
- Cooking time may vary depending on the quantity. Check your rice after a few minutes.
- Check how to cook rice in the microwave and oven above.