This Vegan Mushroom Soup Recipe creates a tasty, dairy-free, and deliciously satisfying soup to enjoy and gives you comfort. You can make it in just 30 minutes, perfect for busy and chilly weeknights.
I love all kinds of soups, especially this creamy vegan mushroom soup that is full of flavors and aromas that everybody raves about. They are more than starters or side dishes for me because this soup is very satisfying and filling.
Why you will love this recipe
- This vegan cream of mushroom soup recipe requires only 30 minutes to make, making it an ideal dinner on busy weeknights. It is super easy to prepare with less effort and less stress.
- Most of the ingredients are already in your kitchen. I love that all the ingredients are usually present in the refrigerator, pantry, and cupboards which makes it accessible. You can even use pre-sliced fresh or frozen mushrooms, pre-sliced onions, and minced garlic to make it more convenient.
- This dairy-free vegan soup is healthy and nutritious and made from whole foods, unlike store-bought canned soup.
Main Ingredients and substitutions
- Onions – You can use fresh or frozen yellow or white onion for this mushroom soup recipe.
- Garlic – Fresh minced garlic or powder garlic is great. If you use powder, you only need about 1/4 teaspoon because it has a potent taste.
- Mushrooms – Cremini mushrooms are most accessible in most grocery stores, but you can use other kinds of mushrooms, such as shitake mushrooms. Make sure to chop them thinly. You can pre-sliced fresh or frozen mushrooms if you have them on hand.
- Red Wine – Red wine or balsamic vinegar will be going to add the delicious flavor of umami to this vegan mushroom soup which is one of my secrets to delicious soup recipes. It is optional but highly recommended.
- Herbs – I love adding dry herbs for additional flavor. My favorites are dried thyme, rosemary, and dried oregano for this soup.
- Full-fat coconut milk – Coconut milk gives rich and creamy liquid to our soup. You can also use dairy-free yogurt or almond milk as to substitute.
- Vegetable broth – You can use homemade or store brought vegetable broth or vegetable stock. You can also use just plain water and your soup will just be tasty as it could be.
- Tapioca Powder – To thicken the soup, tapioca powder is my favorite. You can also use cornstarch, potato starch, or flour to swap. Use the same amount if you are using potato starch or cornstarch and double the measurement for a flour substitute.
- In a dutch oven or large pot, heat avocado oil or olive oil in medium heat. Sauté onions and garlic until aromatic.
- Add in the mushrooms and cook until they are soft for about 5 minutes. Make sure to stir them occasionally.
- Pour the wine and add herbs, salt, and black pepper. Stir to mix everything together and cook for about 2 minutes to allow all the flavor to burst and blend into the soup.
- Add the vegetable broth and coconut milk then bring it to boil and simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, allowing the flavors to blend properly.
5. In a small bowl, dissolve tapioca powder or cornstarch in 1/4 cup of water and stir. Pour this slurry into the soup, stirring occasionally until the soup thickens. Turn off the heat. The soup will continue to thicken while it is still hot. Serve, enjoy and garnish with green onions or cilantro.
Make-ahead, Storage, and reheating tips
- Make-ahead: This creamy and rich vegan mushroom soup is so delicious to make ahead for your meal preparation for a busy week ahead. The flavors just get better the next day so feel free to make a large batch over the weekend and enjoy it for lunch on weekdays.
- Storage: Cool your soup down completely and transfer into air-tight glass containers.
- Refrigerator – Store your soup in the refrigerator for up to 5-7 days.
- Freezer – The good news is you can keep it in the freezer for up to 3 months. Thaw in the refrigerator overnight and it is ready for the next morning.
- Reheating: To reheat this soup, transfer it to a saucepan, reheat and stir over medium heat until warm through. You can also use a microwave to reheat this yummy soup.
More soups you might like
Vegan Mushroom Soup Recipe
- 1 Large pot or duth oven
- 2 tablespoons avocado oil
- 1 medium chopped onion
- 4 cloves minced garlic
- 1 pound sliced mushrooms
- 4 tablespoons red wine
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 8 cups vegetable broth
- 1 can full-fat coconut milk
- 4 tablespoons tapioca powder
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped green onions
- In a dutch oven over medium heat, saute onion and garlic until aromatic.
- Add mushrooms and cook until they are soft for about 5-10 minutes.
- Add the red wine, dried herbs, salt and pepper and cook for 2 minutes allowing all the flavors to burst and blend into the soup.
- Pour the vegetable broth and coconut milk and bring it to a boil then let it simmer for about 10 minutes.
- In a bowl, dissolve tapioca powder in a cold water. Pour it into the soup, stirring continuosly until the soup thicken for about 2 minutes. Turn off the heat. Serve and garnish with chopped green onions or cilantro.
- Red wine is optional but it will enhance the flavor of the soup. You can substitute it with balsamic vinegar or apple cider vinegar instead.
- To make your soup with less fat, use oat milk or almond milk instead of coconut milk.