Try this delicious, creamy, and hearty Chicken Macaroni Soup (Filipino Sopas) recipe that will surely keep you warm and cozy during cold and rainy days! This Filipino noodle soup is loaded with chicken, macaroni, vegetables, and flavorful broth for the best comfort food.
What can be more savory, comforting, and satisfying than a warm bowl of chicken soup on chilly winter days? This creamy soup is my ultimate must-have during cold seasons. It will disappear fast in your bowl.
What Is Sopas?
Sopas is a Filipino/tagalog term for “soup”. Traditional sopas recipe is a combination of macaroni noodles, vegetables, milk, and chicken. We love adding cabbage, carrots, and bell pepper but you can add extra vegetables that you prefer.
INGREDIENTS and SUBSTITUTION
- Elbow macaroni noodles
- Chicken -I use chicken breast, but dark meat is just fine and flavorful if you ask me. To cook the chicken, boil about 4-6 cups of water and sprinkle in some salt and pepper. After cooling down completely, shred it in tiny pieces. Save the chicken stock for the soup. You can use other types of meat such as pork or beef.
- Cooking oil – I always use neutral oil such as avocado oil or olive oil.
- Butter – to make it taste better and add flavor.
- Garlic and onion – for aromatics and flavors.
- Broth – Use the chicken stock from cooking the chicken. I use my homemade broth but you can use store brought chicken broth for convenience.
- Cabagge – thinly chopped.
- Carrots – sliced thin like matchsticks.
- Bell pepper – you can slice, dice, or thin like a matchstick.
- Heavy whipping cream – This cream adds tons of flavor and creaminess to the soup. You can also use evaporated milk to make this delicious and creamy chicken macaroni soup.
- Salt and pepper – Season with salt and pepper to taste accordingly.
How to cook Chicken Macaroni Soup
- In a dutch oven or heavy pot over medium heat, saute onions and garlic in 2 tablespoons of cooking oil and 2 tablespoons of butter. Optional: 2 tablespoons of butter adds extra flavor and I highly recommend it.
- Add in the shredded chicken. Cook until slightly browned to release the flavors of the meat.
- Add in elbow macaroni noodles.
- Pour in chicken stock, broth, or water and simmer until the noodles are al dente.
- Add all the vegetables and cook in medium heat for about 5-10 minutes.
- Pour in heavy whipping cream or evaporated milk. this will make the soup creamy.
- Sprinkle in green onions.
- Serve and enjoy!
why we love this recipe
Perfect for when your feeling under the weather or cold nights. There is no better way to spend the evening in feeling warm and cozy down to your toes than this savory chicken macaroni soup. It’s the dead of winter: rain, snow, or ice is everywhere. Start a wood fire and whip up this soup in under and hour and enjoy and evening of warmth and relaxation.
Larger batches will last a week. Delicious, creamy, and flavorful soup for the whole family. I can have this as breakfast, lunch and dinner whenever I wanted too. My husband often takes it to work on cold days to help warm his bones.
Storage and reheating tips
Refrigerator – If you have leftovers, allow to cool completely and store in a container with a tight-fitting lid. Refrigerate for up to 3-5 days.
Freezer – Allow to compeltely cool. You can store in an air-tight glass container for up to 3 months. Thaw in the fridge overnight until it reach room temperature.
Reheat – To reheat this chicken macaroni soup, add it in a saucepan and cook over medium heat. Stir frequently until warmed through. Enjoy your warming chicken macaroni soup!
More Recipes You Might Like
Chicken Macaroni Soup (Sopas)
- dutch oven
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 4 cloves minced garlic
- 1 medium yellow or white sliced onion
- 1 pound shredded chicken breast
- 2 cups elbow macaroni noodles
- 32 ounces chicken stock or broth
- 2 medium julienned carrots
- 1 bell diced bell pepper
- 1/2 large sliced cabbage
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 stalks chopped green onion
- In a dutch oven or heavy pot over medium heat, use 2 tablespoons of olive oil and 2 tablespoons of butter to sauté garlic and onion until aromatic.
- Add the shredded chicken and cook for 3-5 minutes to release flavors of the meat. Add elbow macaroni noodles and chicken broth and cover. Once it starts to boil add carrots, bell pepper, and cabbage and cover again.
- Once the noodles are cooked al dente, add the heavy whipping cream. Add more salt and pepper accordingly. Let it simmer for a few more minutes until the noodles are completely cooked and soup starts to thicken. Garnish with green onion. Serve and enjoy!
AS AN AMAZON ASSOCIATE, I EARN FROM QUALIFYING PURCHASES.