This easy Air Fryer Sweet Potato Fries (Ninja Foodi) is super crispy and crunchy in every bite. It is made with fresh white sweet potato and perfectly seasoned to make it delicious and satisfying. It is a wonderful snack, appetizer, or side dish that goes with almost every meal.
If you are looking for a healthier alternative to satisfy your craving for a crispy and flavorful snack, this Air Fryer Sweet Potato Fries (Ninja Foodi) recipe is your perfect recipe. It is rich with natural sweetness and packed with essential nutrients, the air-fried sweet potato offers a guilt-free indulgence that will make you and your tummy happy.
We love using our ninja foodi air fry all the time. Today, my husband brought a sack of white sweet potatoes, and air-fried sweet potatoes are my number one recipe for these yummy and healthy potatoes. In the Philippines, we grow this, and we eat the leaves, stems, and root crops. I also love adding them to my pinakbet recipe.
I made some important helpful notes and substitutions about ingredients. For the exact measurement and printable version of this Air Fryer Sweet Potato Fries (Ninja Foodi) Recipe, check the recipe card below.
- White Sweet Potatoes - In Asia, white sweet potatoes are more popular and easy to find. You can use any sweet potatoes that are available to you. In the US, orange sweet potatoes are available in all grocery stores nationwide.
- Seasonings - The perfect seasoning for this sweet potato fry recipe is garlic powder, cumin, paprika, cayenne pepper for some heat, thyme powder, and salt and pepper. It is the same versatile seasoning mixture I use for the blackened fish taco recipe.
- Cooking Oil - I use neutral-tasting oil that is highly heat tolerant such as avocado oil. Coconut oil is also a good choice, but there is a hint of coconut taste which is also a good flavor.
Use this section for process shots, alternating between the step and the image showing the step. Users don't like seeing process shots cluttering up the recipe card, so include your process shots here.
Step 1. Clean and cut the sweet potatoes into french fry slices, about ½-1/4 inch thick. It can be peeled or skin-on, it’s up to you. I peel mine because that's my son's preference.
Step 2. Combine all herbs and spices, and avocado oil in a large bowl and mix thoroughly into the sliced sweet potatoes.
Step 3. Transfer the sliced potatoes to the food ninja air fryer basket, ensuring the basket is not overcrowded. Brush the potatoes with the oil and seasoning mixture until they are well coated on the top.
Step 4. Place into the air-fryer at 400 Fahrenheit for 10-12 minutes, flipping or shaking halfway through. The time may vary depending on your desired crispiness.
Check for doneness: Use a fork or knife to check if the sweet potatoes are tender inside. They should have a crisp exterior and a soft creamy interior.
For the sauce, I use my 5-ingredient healthy sweet and sour sauce recipe. You can use your favorite dipping sauce.
Store the air-fried sweet potatoes in a glass container in the fridge for up to 3 days. The texture may turn soft when it gets to room temperature, but you can reheat them and crisp them up.
To reheat, place them back in the air fryer basket and spray some oil to achieve crispiness. Reheat at 350F for a few minutes until warm and crispy.
By following these tips, you'll be able to achieve your best air fryer sweet potato fries that is perfectly cooked and crispy.
- Cut the sweet potato evenly to ensure consistent cooking. You can go for fries, wedges, or even rounds, depending on your preference.
- Coat the sweet potato pieces lightly with oil, such as avocado oil or coconut oil. This will help them crisp up in the air fryer. Add your favorite seasonings, such as salt, pepper, garlic powder, paprika, cayenne pepper, and dry herbs to boost the flavor.
- Make sure not to over-crowd the air-fryer basket. Simply arrange the sliced sweet potatoes in a single layer in the air fryer basket.
- Thinner pieces take a shorter time to crisp up than thicker cuts. Keep an eye on them to prevent burning.
- Serve immediately after cooking. Sweet potatoes from the air-fryer are best served while still hot and crispy. You can also serve them as a side dish, or snack or add them into other recipes you usually eat.
Why I think you will love this recipe
- Simple and easy to make. You can make these sweet potato fries in your Ninja Foodi air-fryer for less than 15 minutes without using excessive oil while achieving the crispiest healthy fries.
- Sweet potatoes are packed with vitamins A and C, fiber, and various antioxidants, and sweet potatoes offer a range of health benefits. They help support a healthy immune system, promote digestion, provide sustained energy, and keep you full throughout the day.
- Sweet potato has natural sugar for your sweet cravings. This recipe is made only with healthy ingredients.
Yes, you can air-fry a whole sweet potato. Just make sure to piece them a few times with a fork to allow the steam to escape and avoid from bursting. Cook them at 400F for about 40-50 minutes, or until tender. Depending on the size, you may need to cook them shorter or longer. Keep them checked after 30 minutes from time to time.
It depends on your personal preference. Sweet potato skin is edible and provides additional nutrients and fiber. However, if you prefer a softer texture or want a more uniform appearance, peeling them is recommended.
To prevent sticking, make sure to lightly coat the sweet potato pieces with oil before air frying.
Yes, frozen sweet potato fries can be cooked in an air fryer. The cooking time and temperature may need to be adjusted according to the package instructions and personal preference. I recommend preheating the air fryer and cooking the frozen fries in a single layer for the best results.
More Air-fryer Recipes
Looking for other recipes like this? Try these:
Air Fryer Sweet Potato Fries (Ninja Foodi)
- 2-3 tablespoons avocado oil
- 2 large white sweet potatoes
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ⅛ teaspoon chili pepper powder
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- ¼ teaspoon dried thyme powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- Clean and cut the sweet potatoes into french fry slices, about ½-¼ inch thick, depending on your preference. It can be peeled or skin-on, it’s up to you. I peel mine because that's my son's preference.
- Combine all spices and avocado oil in a small bowl. Mix thoroughly into the sliced sweet potatoes until the potato fries are coated.
- Transfer the sliced potatoes to the food ninja air fryer basket or tray, ensuring the basket is not overcrowded.
- Place into the air-fryer at 400 Fahrenheit for 10-12 minutes, flipping or shaking halfway through. The time may vary depending on your desired crispiness.