Turn your zucchini into a yummy appetizer, snack, or side dish that everybody will enjoy. Just a few ingredients from your pantry-staple to make these healthy and flavorful zucchini fritters during your busy weeknights. Kids-approved, low-calorie, low-carbohydrate, and clean ingredients that you already have in your kitchen.
During zucchini season, there is an abundance of zucchini from my four zucchini plants, and I, myself could not keep up on how to cook them without getting tired of the taste. My picky-eater son did not even notice that there are veggies in these fritters. In this recipe, I try my best to make a healthier version of zucchini fritters with all the available ingredients from my pantry. This recipe is one of our top favorites.
Ingredients and Substitutions
Egg. An egg is a great source of protein and combiner but if you are Vegan, you can use flax seeds or chia seeds soaked with water as your egg.
Cooking oil. Avocado oil is great heat resistance oil. Use what you have in the pantry.
Almond Flour. Almond flour is low-carbohydrates and also rich in protein and has other health benefits. Bread crumbs are always available if you don’t have almond flour.
Herbs (green onion and cilantro)
Salt and Pepper to taste
Reason to Make Zucchini Fritters
- Super simple and easy to make, you just need few steps and few ingredients for this recipe.
- Kids friendly. As a mother of a very picky-eater little boy, I can assure you that your kids will approve this. It is a great way to sneak in some veggies.
- Health benefits. It is one of the healthiest vegetables that is good for your overall health. It is also versatile in making so many other dishes, salads, soups and smoothies. Low-calorie, low-carbohydrate and inexpensive.
Frequently Asked Questions
Why are my zucchini fritters soggy?
Batter consistency is key to good fritters. If too runny, add a touch of extra almond flour (otherwise fritters soggy inside). If way too thick, gently add some water. It is very important to squeeze all the excess water from zucchini. Heat your oil completely and use the medium to high heat.
How do you make zucchini fritters crispy?
Refrigerate or chill your zucchini batter mixture in the fridge for about 10 minutes. Since the mixture is cold, the fritters will not absorb too much oil and thus keep them light and crispy. Again, make sure you are frying in heated oil.
How to Make Zucchini Fritters?
Start by sprinkling your grated zucchini with some salt and let it stand for 5-10 minutes. This step will help to get rid of all the moisture. Then wrap it in a cheesecloth or paper towel and try to squeeze out all the liquid. In a bowl, combine zucchini, almond flour, parsley, green onions, and egg, season with salt and pepper to taste. Last but not the least, fry in heated cooking oil side by side until golden brown. That is it.
You can grate your zucchini in advance and freeze them to save some room in the freezer, however, the texture will be slightly different and has more water content but no worries because you could just squeeze it all out.
How to store Zucchini Fritter?
Store your leftover zucchini fritters in an air-tight container in the refrigerator for about 3-5 days.
Healthy Zucchini Fritter Recipe
- Frying Pan
- 1 extra large or 4-5 cups zucchini (grated)
- 4 tablespoon cooking oil
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup almond flour
- 1/4 cup green onion (chopped)
- 1/4 cup parsley (chopped)
- pinch salt and pepper to taste
- Using cheese shredder or food processor, grate your zucchinis. Sprinkle 1 teaspoon of salt and let it set for 5 minutes. Using cheesecloth or paper towel, squeeze and drain all the excess water as much as you can.
- In a bowl, combine all your ingredients except cooking oil. Mix throughly until everything is well combined. Chill in the fridge for 10 minutes to get crispy fritters.
- Heat your cooking oil in your frying pan over medium to high heat. Scoop about 1/4 cup of batter for each fritter, flatten with a spatula, and cook for about two minutes or until the underside is nicely golden brown. Flip and cook on the other side, about 2 minutes or longer until set and turn golden brown. Ready to serve and enjoy.