Make your own superfood kale powder at home with fresh kale to save you money and keep you healthy with simple steps. Drying your leafy greens in the dehydrator or oven is one of the best way to preserve the abundance of kale during it’s season.
The abundance of kale from our garden helps me to make enough kale powder to add to my morning smoothie after workouts. I also love sprinkling this on some of my favorite soup or just adding it to my kid’s meat to sneak in some nutritious ingredients without him noticing the difference.
Why You Will Love This
- Kale is one of the most nutrient-dense vegetables that will help you get some fiber, vitamins, and minerals. It has a lot of health benefits and may help you lower high blood pressure, and lower cholesterol and blood sugar levels.
- Kale powder is versatile, and you can add it to your smoothies, soups, and more.
- It is more potent than fresh leaves, and a little bit of powder goes a long way. It is easier to get more nutrition into our daily diets.
- With just one ingredient and a dehydrator or oven, you can make your pure kale powder without any other fillers added.
How to make a Superfood Kale Powder
- Wash your fresh leafy greens in cold water thoroughly and cut the center stalk. Then pat dry with a tea towel to get rid of extra water, and this will help to dry them faster in the dehydrator or oven.
- Lay them flat on a tray and place them in the dehydrator. Set the dehydrator at 130F or 55C. The top tray will dry faster, and I recommend switching the top and bottom tray halfway through to make sure they dry equally. Check them from time to time. You can use the oven and set it to the lowest setting and place your tray on the lowest rack.
- They are done when they can easily crumble between fingers. Use a mortar and pestle, blender, or food processor to grind them into a fine powder.
Preserving your kale harvest by making kale powder is such a great way if you have limited space in your refrigerator or pantry. All you need is a clean jar with a tight lid. Make sure that the container is clean before placing your green powder in it to keep it away from the mold. It will stay potent for 6-12 months in a cool and dry place.
More Healthy Recipes You May Like
Kale Powder Recipe
- 1 dehydrator or oven
- 1 blender, food processor or mortar and pestle
- 3-4 pounds fresh kale
- Wash and remove the center stalk of the leaves. Pat dry using tea towel. Place them out on the dehydrator shelves in an even layer.
- Set your dehydrator at 130F or 55C for about 4-6 hours at the vegetable setting. If you are using an oven, set it to the lowest setting and place your tray at the buttom rack. Check a few times. They are ready when they crumble easily between your fingers.
- Use blender to grind them into fine powder. Store in an airtight container or glass jar.