Try this Shrimp Avocado Summer Salad if you are looking for a recipe that is rich in healthy protein, fats, and fiber from fruits, vegetables, and shrimp in one dish. This salad is burst with freshness flavors from Summer fruits and vegetables and is super delicious as a side dish, appetizer, or a light meal.
Summer fruits and vegetables such as cherry tomatoes and cucumbers are my favorites during this time of the year because they are burst and packed with their natural flavors. My favorite Shrimp Avocado Summer Salad is always our go-to salad at home and during potlucks as it is quick and easy to make.
There are 3 main ingredients in this healthy, refreshing, and satisfying salad. However, you can add more or skip any ingredients according to your taste.
- Shrimp – It is a protein source, but you can substitute shrimp with cooked chicken or eggs. Skip the meat and add nuts if you do not consume meat.
- Avocado – Avocado is a great and healthy source of fats, and it will keep you full for a long period of time.
- Summer Vegetables – To add more texture, color, and nutrients to our salad, it is important to add fresh summer veggies such as tomatoes, cucumber, leafy greens, and herbs.
Preparing shrimp. If you are using raw shrimp, you need to steam, boil, or roast them in the oven until they change color. You can leave them whole or chop them if they are large. Don’t forget to peel the shrimp after cooking.
- To steam: In a medium saucepan, boil about 2 cups of water in medium heat and steam shrimp in a steamer basket for about 5 minutes or until shrimp turns opaque and completely cook. It will take longer if you are using frozen shrimp.
- To boil: Boil 2-3 cups of water in a saucepan and let the shrimp cook in the boiling water for about 3-5 minutes. Take them out and let them cool down.
- To roast: Preheat the oven to 400F. Spray a large nonstick baking tray with cooking spray and add the shrimp. Roast them for 6 to 8 minutes or until the shrimp turns opaque. Let them cool then continue.
Preparing fruits and vegetables. Wash and chop your fruits and vegetables such as cucumbers, tomatoes, onions, and, cilantro. Cut avocado in half, remove the pit and slice them into dice. I like to slice my avocados when they are still attached to the peel. Then add lemon juice. Mix everything to combine
Making a salad dressing salad by combining, sour cream or plain greek yogurt, chopped cilantro, salt, and black pepper. You can skip this method with any store-bought salad dressing for convenience.
Make-ahead: To make this satisfying salad ahead, combine all the ingredients except avocado and salad dressing and keep this refrigerated, then add them just before serving.
Refrigerate: This Shrimp Avocado Summer Salad can be stored in the refrigerator, and it will last longer in the fridge if stored properly. To store this dish, transfer it to an air-tight container with a lid.
More Recipes You Might Like
Shrimp Avocado Summer Salad Recipe
- 1 large bowl
- ½ pound shrimp cooked and peeled
- 2 large ripe avocados pitted and diced
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes halves
- 1 small cucumber diced
- ½ small yellow onion diced
- ½ cup sour cream or plain greek yogurt
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- ¼ cup cilantro finely chopped
- Cook the shrimp in boiling water for 4-6 minutes or until they turns opaque or completely cook.
- In a mixing bowl, combine diced avocados, tomatoes, cucumber, onion, and lemon juice. Mix everything well to combine.
- Make the dressing by combining sour cream, salt, black pepper and chopped cilantro. in a small bowl. Add tablespoon of milk or water if it is too thick.
- Pour your salad dressing into the large mixing bowl of salad and enjoy!
- If you wanted to make this salad ahead, combine all the ingredients except avocado. Avocados could easily turn brown due to oxidation or being exposed to the air.
- If you feed more than 4 people, you can double up and add more of your favorite ingredients to your salad.
- You can use store-bought salad dressing or make your own, and they are both delicious.