Spicy Kani Salad is a popular favorite Japanese-style salad featuring imitation crab (kani), cucumber, and spicy mayonnaise sauce. This dish is often served as a healthy appetizer or side dish at most Japanese restaurants, and it's known for its refreshing, flavorful, and spicy taste.
The taste of this crab stick meat salad is simply amazing and delicious. I always look forward to having this at the Asian restaurant as a side dish. Today, I went to the Asian Store and decided to make my own since it is very easy and cost-effective to make it at home.
Why you will love this recipe
- Spicy Kani Salad is versatile and you can customize it to suit your needs and preferences. You can adjust the spiciness by adding less sriracha and adding avocado, seaweed, and carrots for more nutritional benefits and extra crunch. You can also add diced mango for a sweet and tangy taste.
- This appetizer dish is flavorful and loaded with beneficial nutrients. The cucumber is rich in fiber and essential vitamins and minerals, while the imitation crab and mayonnaise are rich in protein.
- The creamy, slightly sweet, tangy, and spicy dressing made from mayonnaise and sriracha hot sauce creates a tangy and mildly spicy flavor that creates a perfect balance.
- It is incredibly easy to make. It requires simple ingredients, which can easily be found in all grocery stores. It takes about 10 minutes from start to finish, making it a perfect side dish for a busy weeknight.
- You will love this recipe because it is delicious and inexpensive. If you are looking for a budget-friendly creamy salad dish, this recipe is a must-try.
- If you love crab recipes, check out my crispy crab rangoon and crab rangoon eggroll recipes.
Ingredients and Variations
This dish features imitation crab meat. You can often find crab meat sticks at any supermarket or grocery store nationwide in the freezer seafood section.
I made this salad with minimal ingredients but it has endless variations to try. You can add a fish roe or cooked shrimp for more protein.
For Kani salad dressing, a squeeze of lemon juice or rice vinegar will give an extra tangy flavor.
Check the recipe card below for a full list of ingredients with nutritional info.
Step 1. Shred the crab stick into thin strands by pulling them apart by hand. Or, for a faster method, use a fork and run it along the length of the crab stick while holding onto the other end with your hand. Sliced the cucumber thinly and chopped the green onions.
Step 2. Combine all the ingredients in a bowl. Mix everything until well-coated. Taste and adjust the seasoning accordingly. Serve immediately or store in the refrigerator to chill and serve later.
Pro Tips to make crab salad
- You can always substitute the mayonnaise with low-fat, vegan mayonnaise or coconut cream for a healthier option. Or you can use mashed avocado.
- Store this delicious crab meat salad in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days. the cucumber may not be as crunchy after combining it with the mayo but it will still be delicious as it is.
- If love more easy recipes, try this next:
More Recipes You Might Like
Let's Stay Connected
If you like this recipe, please give me a 5-star review and comment below this post. If you have any questions, write them down below in the comment section. I truly appreciate you.
Crab Meat Salad Recipe
- 1 pound imitation crab meat stick shredded
- ⅓ cup Japanese mayonnaise
- ½ large cucumber sliced thin
- 2 tablespoon sriracha hot sauce
- ¼ cup green onions chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
- sesame seeds
- Shred the crab stick into thin strands by pulling them apart by hand. Or, for a faster method, use a fork and run it along the length of the crab stick while holding onto the other end with your hand. Sliced the cucumber thinly and chopped the green onions.
- Combine all the ingredients together. Mix everything until well-coated. Taste and adjust the seasoning accordingly. Serve immediately or chill in the refrigerator until ready to serve and enjoy.