This creamy mushroom carbonara is a simple, quick, and delicious meal. It is easy to prepare and comes together in 20 minutes, perfect for a busy weeknight pasta idea. It is full of flavors from the creamy sauce, sauteed mushrooms, cheese, and eggs.
During a busy week, I came to realise pasta recipes are so quick and easy to make yet the most delicious dinners I could make for my family. Everyone at home loves these creamy carbonara mushrooms because it is very satisfying, and filling.
While classic carbonara consists of meat, I recreate this pasta as a vegetarian dish. I added delicious mushrooms to be meatless although you can add cured pork such as bacon and salami for extra protein.
The best thing about this creamy carbonara mushroom is it only needs a few simple ingredients that you typically always have in the fridge and pantry.
- Parmesan cheese
- salt and pepper
How to cook creamy carbonara mushroom
- Pasta. Cook the pasta according to the package instruction. Just boil a pot of water and toss the spaghetti and cook al dente. Drain some of the water but make sure to save about 1/4 cup for the sauce.
- Sauce. While the pasta is cooking, we will make our sauce. Grate your parmesan cheese or you can buy the sherreded cheese for your own convinience. Add 2 eggyolks and 1 whole egg, salt and pepper then beat to combine. These combination gives our pasta creaminess without adding any cream. You can also add some more herbs and spicies if your like.
I . Add your cook pasta and sauce mixture. Mix well to
- In a cast iron skillet, heat cooking oil in medium heat and cook garlic until aromatic.
- Add mushrooms and saute until soft. Turn off heat.
- Add the cooked pasta, sauce, and pasta water. Stir until well combined. (see photo no. 3-5)
Last but not the least, add more parmesan cheese. I love to add more to the skillet and sprinkle some more on my plate. The more cheese, the better! Serve and enjoy with family and friends.
- Always mix in the eggs and cheese into the pasta off the heat for a smooth carbonara sauce.
- Don’t worry if you forgot to save some of the water from pasta. You can just add water. Add it gradually to make sure your carbonara is not too runny.
- While shredded cheese is good, I use freshly grated parmesan cheese for the best cheese flavor.
- While this recipe is meatless, you can always add meat for extra protein and texture. You can also sprinkle some herbs and spicies if you prefer. My favorites are dried oregano and Italian seasonings.
Why you will love this recipe
There are so many reasons why we love this dish so much. In fact, we make this dish once or twice a week when we are in the mood for carbonara.
- This carbonara recipe is one of the most delicious dishes we make at home a very busy weeknights. It takes 20 minutes to make and it is easy to prepare.
- Satisfying and filling dinner.
- It is rich, creamy and loaded with flavors from sauted mushrooms, eggs and cheese.
Refrigerator – To store your leftovers, cool completely and transfer in an air-tight container in the fridge for up to 5 days.
What to serve with creamy mushroom carbonara
Creamy Mushroom Carbonara Recipe
- 1 skillet
- 8 ounces spaghetti
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 8 ounces mushrooms, sliced
- 2 large egg yolks
- 1 large whole egg
- 1/3 cups parmesan cheese, shredded
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- Pasta. Cook pasta according to the package instructions. Save about 1/4 cup of the water for the sauce.
- Sauce. Combine parmesan cheese, eggs, salt, and black pepper in a bowl. Beat to combine.
- In a skillet over medium heat, heat cooking oil and add garlic. Cook until aromatic, about 2 minutes.
- Add mushrooms and cook until it soften, about 5 minutes. Turn off heat.
- Pour the pasta, sauce and gradually add some pasta water. Stir until everything is well combined.
- While this recipe is vegetarian, feel free to add cured meat such as bacon.
- While freshly cooked is the best to eat, you can store your leftover in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.